Three Tulare County girls were given an early Christmas present from prosecutors who helped bring an accused child molester
The families are one step closer to closure after nearly 10 years.
Detectives believe 60-year-old John Weece, Tulare, had been sexually assaulting children for nearly a decade before he was caught.
A Tulare County jury agreed.
The Tulare man was convicted on three counts of sexual intercourse with a minor under the age of 10, six counts of oral copulation with a minor under the age of 10, three counts of digital penetration of a minor under the age of 10, 29 counts of lewd acts on a child under the age 14, and one count of using a minor for sex acts.
The jury also found true the special allegation of substantial sexual abuse.
Weece faces 510-years-to-life in prison.
Prosecutors said 41 of the crimes occurred between Aug. 9, 2013, and Feb. 20, 2016, against a girl, between 6 and 8 years old. The other three crimes took place between May 27, 2008, and Dec. 31, 2011, against two girls between 9 and 12 years old.
All 44 crimes took place in Tulare County, prosecutors said.
"We thank the jurors for their service, especially during the holidays. The magnitude of this case no doubt weighed heavily on them," said District Attorney Tim Ward. "I am proud of our Crimes Against Children Division for making sure this predator cannot harm our communities again."
Sentencing is set for Jan. 25 in Department 5 of the Tulare County Superior Court. Weece will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.
Tulare man faces 510 years in prison for child molestation Sheyanne N Romero visaliatimesdelta.com Dec. 21, 2017Tweet
Paedo sentenced to 495 years for raping 3-year-old boy, sharing images of the abuse 20 DICEMBRE 2017