A renowned tenor with Opera Australia has been charged with historic sex offences over the assault of a 14-year-old girl who was part of a children's chorus.
The girl, who claims she was sexually assaulted by David Edward Lewis in the mid-90s, is believed to have alerted police after seeing the performer in the production of Puccini's Turandot in Sydney in March, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.
Mr Lewis has been charged with two counts of sexual intercourse with a person over 14 but under 16 and four counts of aggravated indecent assault of a person under 16.
Some of the offences are alleged to have taken place at the Sydney Opera House.
The 58-year-old is accused of sexually assaulting the teenager when he was in his mid-30s working as a chorister for the opera company.
The Sydney Morning Herald claims a cast member saw one of the assaults in progress and alerted others within Opera Australia, prompting a chaperone to be appointed to the children but no further action against Mr Lewis.
'Opera Australia is like the Catholic Church in miniature,' an employee told the publication.
Opera Australia claims the 58-year-old's personnel file did not contain any complaints. The company was asked for information about past productions by police in 2016.
Mr Lewis starred in Two Weddings, One Bride earlier this year.
In July, the tenor told the Opera Australia about the charges he was facing.
Mr Lewis was ordered to step down by senior members, who also banned him from coming near the Opera Centre.
He resigned from his position in October after 25 years as a chorus member and is expected to appear in court on December 5.
Distinguished tenor, 58, accused of historic child sex offences including abuse at the Sydney Opera House Brianne Tolj For Daily Mail Australia 20 November 2017