CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- A convicted child sex trafficker from Colorado was sentenced to 472 years in prison, the longest sentence for a human trafficking case in U.S. history.
Brock Franklin, 31, was found guilty of 30 counts, including soliciting for child prostitution, sexual assault and kidnapping by an Arapahoe County jury in March.
Franklin recruited young girls and women and forced them into prostitution. There was physical abuse if they didn't cooperate.
He was one of seven people indicted by a statewide grand jury in 2015. Franklin was considered the leader of the human trafficking ring.
Three girls and five women cooperated with prosecutors during the case, which was brought under Colorado’s Organized Crime Control Act.
“I can’t begin to even explain what he did to my life,” one of the victims Breahannah Leary said.
Franklin walked into the courtroom calm and collected, he sat quietly as a judge read his fate.
One victim stood up and addressed the court herself.
“Reading it today, and speaking and actually saying how I felt, and him having hearing and have to sit there and listen and listen to me, that brought me so much joy and that’s why I came today,” Leary said.
Sex trafficking continues to be a problem.
"A 400 year sentence sends a strong message across the country that we're not going to tolerate this kind of violence to women and vulnerable populations," Janet Drake with the Colorado Attorney General's office said.
The indictment shows drugs were used to control these women and girls. They had to meet a daily quota. Franklin forced them to have sex with him, then he'd sell their services online.
The crimes happened at hotels all over the metro area.
The defense asked for the minimum sentence of 96 years. The victims and prosecution asked for more and that's what Franklin got, 472 years.
“He deserves every single minute in those walls,” Leary said.
Authorities believe more women were victimized.
Colorado child sex trafficker sentenced to longest human trafficking sentence in U.S. history NOVEMBER 21, 2017 ZORA STEPHENSON
Nashville man sentenced to life in prison after sexually abusing girl for 5 years WZTV November 21st 2017
PORTLAND, Ore. - A convicted sex offender has been sentenced to 15 years in federal prison and lifetime supervised release in the sexual abuse of several children on the Warm Springs and Yakama Indian reservations, prosecutors said.
U.S. District Court Judge Michael Mosman in Portland imposed sentence on Ernest Colin Selam, 59, who pleaded guilty June 29 to charges related to the sexual molestation of minor relatives.
“This case demonstrates the ongoing need for compassionate and persistent investigation of child abuse in Indian Country,” said Billy J. Williams, United States Attorney for the District of Oregon. “We will continue to work tirelessly with our tribal partners to give voice to these vulnerable victims and provide justice for tribal nations.”
According to court documents, FBI agents in Washington state, along with YakamaNation Tribal detectives, arrested Selam on September 15, 2016 in Yakima, Washington after a multi-jurisdictional investigation revealed a long history of sexual abuse against minor children on the Warm Springs and Yakama Nation Indian reservations.
The investigation, undertaken jointly by tribal investigators and federal agents from the FBI’s Resident Agency in Bend, uncovered the sexual abuse of three minor Native American female victims.
Abuse allegations first became known in 2003, when one victim disclosed to a school that Selam had molested her years prior on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation, prosecutors said.
The investigation stalled until April 2016, when a child in Yakima disclosed that the defendant had been molesting her. Investigators contacted the Warm Springs victim, by then an adult, who again recounted the instances of abuse that had occurred two decades earlier. Investigators later learned that Selam had also sexually abused a second victim in Warm Springs when she was a child.
Selam was indicted in federal court for the crimes committed against the now-adult victims in Oregon, and agreed to plead guilty to spare the minor child in Washington state from having to go to court.
At the time of his arrest, Selam was a registered sex offender for a previous conviction in the Warm Springs Tribal Court for sexually abusing two relatives in the early 1990s.
The investigation was led by the FBI’s Yakima Resident Agency in the Eastern District of Washington with tribal detectives from the Yakama Nation and Warm Springs Tribal Police who are certified federal task force officers through the FBI’s Safe Trails Task Force Program.
Also assisting in the investigation were agents from the FBI’s Resident Agency in Bend. The case was prosecuted by Paul T. Maloney, Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Oregon.
On March 3, 1994, the FBI initiated “Operation Safe Trails” with the Navajo Department of Law Enforcement in Flagstaff, Arizona. The purpose of the operation, which would later evolve into the Safe Trails Task Force (STTF) Program, was to unite the FBI with other federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies in a collaborative effort to combat the growth of crime in Indian Country.
STTFs allow participating agencies to combine limited resources and increase investigative coordination in Indian Country to target violent crime, drugs, gangs, and gaming violations.
COTTONWOOD, Calif. - The Tehama County Sheriff's Office is investigating a man they believe sexually abused several Tehama County juveniles. They are also seeking for any victims to come forward and speak to the Detective Dada with the Sheriff's Office.
According to officials, Scott McLaughlin, 49, of Cottonwood, has been under investigation concerning reports of sexual abuse of minors. Investigators believe that some of the assaults may have occurred in the Marysville area as well as around Cottonwood.
Deputies believe that McLaughlin became friendly with several minors involved in dirt bike racing. He would then entice them to his residence in Cottonwood for sleepovers and target shooting.
While the minors were at his house, McLaughlin provided them with marijuana and alcohol prior to and during his sexual assault of them. After the fact, McLaughlin is believed to have threatened to kill the minors if they came forward and reported the abuse.
Detectives arrested McLaughlin, and a search of his house found numerous guns.
McLaughlin was booked into the Tehama County Jail and his bail was set at $5 million.
McLaughlin is being charged with sodomy with force, assault with intent to commit rape, child cruelty, and more.
Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact Detective Chad Dada, either by email (email@example.com) or by calling 530-529-7940.
A 30-year-old man indicted on charges of raping a child in Milford has been captured, according to the U.S. Marshals Office.
Carlos Gonzalez-Valesquez, was arrested by U.S. Marshals at a residence near Richmond, Virginia.
Gonzalez-Valesquez was wanted by Milford Police Department since February 2014, Michael McGowan, U.S. Marshal for the District of Delaware said in a statement.
In September of 2017, Gonzalez-Valesquez was indicted by a Sussex County Superior Court Grand Jury on 27 counts, including first-degree rape of a victim under the age of 12, sexual abuse of a child by a person of trust and endangering the welfare of a child.
Once Gonzalez-Valesquez became a fugitive, in 2014, a request was made to the U.S. Marshals First State Fugitive Task Force. Several leads were followed, however, the case went cold.
BACKGROUND: Milford man sought in sexual assault of child
Recent information developed by Milford police was passed to the fugitive task force, which sent investigators to Virginia.
With the new information, investigators established surveillance in the 100 block of N. Laburnum Avenue near Richmond, McGowan said. On Monday, investigators saw Gonzalez-Valesquez and arrested him without incident.
Gonzalez-Valesquez, who initially provided a false name, remains in Virginia awaiting extradition to Delaware, McGowan said.
Man indicted of child rape in Delaware has been captured in Virginia Esteban Parra, The News Journal Nov. 21, 2017