Child-killer Joseph Duncan still fighting death sentence Nov. 4, 2017 Betsy Z. Russell spokesman.com
A Hastings man has been sentenced to one year and 11 months' jail for a raft of offences including talking about abducting underage boys to sexually abuse them.
Michael John Kight appeared in Wellington District Court, having previously pleaded guilty to eight charges.
A summary of the police case said that, in December 2016, Kight began a conversation with a 21-year-old male on dating app Grindr talking about sexually abusing boys aged seven to nine, and suggested the other man join him.
Kight graphically described what they might do to the victims, and spoke about driving around to find boys to abduct.
The man Kight was talking to was so disturbed by the suggestions he reported them to police.
Kight was also reported to police when a person who was updating software on his phone found child sex abuse images on it.
Examination of the phone showed Kight had emailed photographs and a video of young males involved in sexual activity.
Police also found Kight had looked at web pages with stories graphically describing forced sex between children, and children and adults.
In the messages, Kight had claimed to have sexually offended against dozens of young males.
In sentencing Kight, Judge Barbara Morris acknowledged those accounts were not substantiated, and plans to abduct the minors were "fanciful", rather than planned.
"There is no allegation you intended to put that plan into effect," she said.
Kight was the subject of a covert police operation from a unit that targets online sexual exploitation of children.
A police officer pretending to be a 14-year-old boy started a discussion with him on Facebook, and Kight quickly turned the conversation to sex, and sent pictures of male genitals.
He arranged to meet the person in Wellington and sent pictures of himself so he would be recognised. One of the photographs was a full-frontal nude.
Police later found another series of messages on Kight's phone in which he had offered to supply methamphetamine.
Kight pleaded guilty to exposing the fictitious 14-year-old to objectionable material, arranging to meet the fictitious young person for a sexual purpose, distributing objectionable material, offering to supply methamphetamine, and two charges each of possessing objectionable publications and making objectionable material in messages,
Judge Morris said the starting point for the prison term was two years and 10 months.
That was increased by a month for a previous sexual matter in 2012, and ultimately reduced to one year and 11 months (with six months' release conditions to follow) for Kight's early guilty plea and mental health issues identified in a psychiatric report.
The assessment noted Kight suffered from XYY syndrome, also known as Jacob's syndrome, which was associated with antisocial behaviour and impulsivity. He also suffered from other mental health issues which meant he was a "high risk" of further offending, the report said.
A probation report was not completed because of a logistical "mix-up".
Prison sentences under two years can be substituted by home detention, but Kight did not have a suitable address.
"The only sentence that is appropriate here, for a number of reasons, is imprisonment," the judge said.
Michael John Kight sentenced to 1 year, 11 months' jail for inciting sexual abuse on minor DAMIAN GEORGE November 6 2017
CHILLICOTHE - A June investigation into allegations a man drugged a small child has also led to six allegations of child rape and an indictment against the mother of the children.
Lloyd E. Hammond, of 123 Rogers Parkway, and Natalie A. Hutt, of 254 W. Riehle Road, were both in court for an initial pretrial. On Sept. 29, a Ross County grand jury secretly indicted Hammond on six counts of rape and one count of child endangering and Hutt on two counts of child endangering.
The charges stem from an investigation began when a 4-year-old girl overdosed and was taken to Adena Regional Medical Center and then Nationwide Children's Hospital on June 27. Assistant Ross County Prosecutor Jeff Marks said a blood test indicated the girl had morphine in her system and she alleged Hammond had given her the pills.
While questioned by social workers at Children's Hospital, the girl also alleged Hammond had engaged in sexual conduct with her, Marks said. Further investigation uncovered additional allegations of sexual conduct made by the girl's older sister, Marks said. The allegations between the two victims span from September 2013 through June 2017.
There is no indication Hammond had given the children drugs in order to facilitate sexual contact, Marks said.
Hutt, who was Hammond's girlfriend, allegedly was aware of the drugging and rape accusations yet still allowed the children around Hammond which is the foundation of the two child endangerment charges, Marks said.
Hammond remained in jail on a $100,000 bail and Hutt was out on a $10,000 bond, according to online court records.
Hammond is expected to appear in court in December on motions seeking to exempt victim statements to social workers from trial while Hutt's case is expected to be slated for trial early next year.
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -
A 41-year-old Portland man was arrested in connection with online luring of a child.
Police said the investigation started on Oct. 31 when Jason J. Paul initiated contact with an undercover officer who was posing as an underage girl on social media.
According to police, Paul wanted to "meet with her for purposes of a sexual nature."
Paul scheduled a date and time to meet the underage girl. When he arrived to the location in northeast Portland, Portland Police Bureau's Sex Trafficking Unit arrested him.
Paul has been booked into the Multnomah County Jail and charged with purchase sex with a minor, online sexual corruption in the first degree, online sexual corruption in the second degree, attempt rape in the third degree, attempt sexual abuse in the second degree, patronizing prostitute, and three counts of luring a minor.
Investigators believe there may be more victims.
Anyone with information about Paul or are a victim, please contact Sergeant Mark Georgioff at 503-793- 9358 or Officer Mike Gallagher at 503-793-9061.
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -
A 33-year-old man is behind bars after police say he got a 15-year-old relative drunk and sexually assaulted her multiple times.
The Baton Rouge Police Department has in custody Gregory Remble, 33, of Baton Rouge on charges of second-degree rape and sexual battery after they responding an incident where a 15-year-old was raped.
According to arrest records, on October 4 around 9 a.m., BRPD investigators were contacted by the 15-year-old victim.
The victim says she has known Remble for 11 years.
The victim told police Remble bought her a daiquiri to celebrate her 15th birthday. Remble reportedly added extra alcohol to the daiquiri and allowed the victim to drink it, according to the probable cause report.
Police say the victim became extremely intoxicated when Remble put her in a bathtub and began bathing her. While bathing her, Remble reportedly touched the victim's private area, according to reports, to which she asked him to stop. Remble reportedly responded by saying, "You know you don't want me to stop," authorities say.
Remble then carried the victim to his bed where the victim passed out. The victim was awakened when Remble began to sexually assault her, police say.
The victim left the room, went to the bathroom and then went to the couch where she passed out again. Later that night, Remble woke the victim up and told her to come back to his bedroom, according to the probable cause report.
When the victim refused, Remble dragged her by the arms to the bedroom, authorities said. Remble then sexually assaulted the victim again, according to the probable cause report. Remble then told the victim to go to sleep.
After being advised of his rights, Remble confessed to police that he gave the victim alcohol, helped her bathe, and slept in the same bed as the victim.
Remble told police he could think of no reason the victim would lie about him since they have such a close relationship. Remble also stated if his DNA is found it is only because he masturbated after the victim left his room, according to arrest records.
Remble was arrested and booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison. He is being held on a $300,000 bond.
10 years in prison for Bolingbrook man who sexually assaulted girl Ted Gregory Chicago Tribune Nov 6 2017
A Kiwi man who sexually abused a five-year-old boy offered up by his adoptive parents in Queensland is set to be deported back to New Zealand, according to Australian media reports.
Lower Hutt man Craig Edward Broadley, 43, is expected to be sent back across the Tasman within days after pleading guilty at the Brisbane District Court, the Courier Mail reports.
Broadley admitted to indecent treatment of a child in 2010 and 2011 and had already served his sentence while awaiting trial, making him eligible for deportation.
He was caught up in an investigation into an international paedophile ring when he travelled to Cairns from New Zealand to abuse a boy after chatting with his adopted parents online.
Australian Peter Truong and American Mark Newton are serving lengthy jail sentences in the United States for farming out the boy out after buying him from a Russia surrogate.
Broadley was extradited to Australia to face charges in February.